How To Set Your Facebook Page URL (Create Username and Vanity URL)
Now that you’ve learned how to setup a Facebook page for your website or blog, the next thing you’ll want to do is set a username for it. This will allow your page to have a shorter URL in the format of “http://www.facebook.com/username” (also called a “vanity URL”). Luckily, it’s very easy to create a username for your Facebook page. In this post I’ll show you exactly how to do this, as well as show you in a video tutorial at the end.
What is a Facebook Page URL (Vanity URL)
Using an example is the best way to show you what a Facebook Page URL actually is. For the All Webmaster.com Facebook Page, when I first created this page the URL for it was:
Once I set the username for this Facebook page to “allwebmaster” my new Facebook Page URL was shortened to this:
As I’m sure you can see, this new vanity URL has a much cleaner look than the first one, which makes it easier to share with your audience when you’re talking to them or speaking in a video. All you need to do to get a vanity URL like this for your Facebook Page is to create a username for it.
Create a Username for Your Facebook Page
The first thing I should mention is you must get at least 25 people to “like” your Facebook Page before you can create a username for it. Once your page has over 25 likes, follow these simple steps to create a username for it:
- Sign into Facebook and navigate to the Facebook Page you want to create a username and vanity URL for.
- Click the “Edit Info” link directly under your page title
- On this page you’ll see a “Username” field (it’s the second one down from the top). Click the link in this section that says “Create a username for this page”.
- Make sure the correct page is selected in the drop down menu on this page. Once it is, enter your desired username in the text field and click the “Check Availability” button.
- If the username you entered is available you’ll see a screen pop up telling you this, along with a few warnings. One of the things included here is a notification that once you create the username for your Facebook page you won’t be able to change it or transfer it to someone else in the future. Make sure you choose the name you REALLY want before moving on to the next, and final, step.
- Finally, once you’re sure you’ve entered the username you want, click the “Confirm” button
That’s it, you’re done! You now have a shorter Facebook Page URL. If you want to see this process step-by-step, I’ve posted a short screencast video below from when I created a username for the All Webmaster.com Facebook page. Enjoy!
Video Tutorial: How To Set Your Facebook Page Username and URL
Below is a screencast I made of me creating a username for the All Webmaster.com Facebook Page. It only took me a little over a minute to do this, including the extra time where I’m explaining the process.
15 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Welcome to All Webmaster!
Hi, my name is Dana and here at All Webmaster I teach people how to build websites. I've been creating websites professionally for over 12 years and this is where I'll share the things I've learned so you can build your own website and get people to visit it. [More about...]